Sunday, November 11, 2007

It is the Soldier

This is from an e-mail from my father. Happy Veterans' Day to him and to all the other veterans who have sacrificed for our Country.

Update - I decided to do a little searching to find the source of the following in order to give the author the credit he deserves. His name is at the end. (It also turns out that my originally posted version was slightly incorrect, such is the nature of the internet.)

It is the SOLDIER, not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the SOLDIER, not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the SOLDIER, not the campus organizer,
who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is the SOLDIER, not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the SOLDIER, not the politician,
who has given us the right to vote.

It is the SOLDIER,
who salutes the flag,


It is the
SOLDIER,
who serves under the flag,

and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

2 Comments:

At November 10, 2007 at 4:05 PM, Blogger Levois said...

Very touching sir!

 
At November 11, 2007 at 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting that, John. The wheelchair photo is quite moving. It reminded me of the Niemöller poem, written after WWII. There are various translations, but this one was printed Time magazine:

First they came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up,
because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left
to speak up for me.

We have our veterans to thank for standing and speaking up when no one else can or will. Hope everyone takes a moment to think about that today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home