Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Coincidence?

So I can't help but find it interesting that on the same day that the Tribune runs their editorial slamming our pension situation (see my last post), as I write this, the House Republicans are in the midst of a pre-planned coordinated lambasting of the Democrats on the same topic. All of their microphones have a big number "50" taped to them, symbolizing a new study that they are touting which says that Illinois is dead last in funding of pension obligations.

I think that I have previously made my feelings clear on this issue, so I'm not taking issue with the content of their comments, other than the fact that much of this problem also lays at the feet of their party predecessors as well.

I just thought the timing of the two events was curious. Okay, they're done now, back to business.

UPDATE: Okay, a member of Republican Leadership, who I trust unequivocally, just told me that while the general issue had been previously discussed with the paper, the timing of today's events was in fact coincidental. I've become so cynical in old age. Sigh.

4 Comments:

At February 7, 2006 at 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, funny how that works isn't it, Representative? Between the corporate money and corporate media, it's a wonder Democrats are even able to get elected. The Tribune should be ashamed. -rc

 
At February 7, 2006 at 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rep. Fritchey,

I am not sure what your batting average was in terms of getting endorsed by the trip, but I suspect it is going to go down in the future.

The Tribune enjoys the fiction that it is above the fray and gets very annoyed when someone points out that the emperor has no clothes.

Maybe when the Tribune coordinates an attack on the Republican Congress and Republican President for the federal budget disaster they will have a little more credibility when they try to lay all the problems of Illinois at the feet of Democrats.

Mind you, I agree that Democrats derserve a fair amount of blame, but let's not pretend all was sweetness and light when the Republicans were dominent in Springfield.

 
At February 7, 2006 at 4:27 PM, Blogger Rep. John Fritchey said...

In fairness to the fine folks at the Tribune (and all kidding aside, I like every reporter of theirs that I deal with, and I also like the couple members of the editorial board who I have had occasion to meet or talk to), I am not saying that this was in fact coordinated, but it just seemed to be bizarrely fortuitous timing. But hey, sometimes things just work out that way.

And for the record, other than my first primary in 96, when they endorsed my opponent who had a very good track record, they have endorsed me in every contested election that I have had. So if they ever don't in the future, I'm blaming it on this post :)

 
At February 7, 2006 at 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rep. Fritchey,

I agree that the Tribune's reporters are excellent.

However, I think you are being exceptionally kind to the editorial board and higher management. I am not saying that they are constantly coordinating their efforts with Republicans in the state, but it is not like it is a once in a lifetime occurence either.

If you want a former insider's view about how the Trib operates, check out http://www.chitowndailynews.org, click on the link for "Ravings from the editor" and read the posting "Behind the FitzSimons story"

Anyhow, keep up the great blogging and I hope the Trib doesn't hold your posting against you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home